Ideally the best method to treat cough is to identify what exactly is the root cause of your cough and then take action accordingly. For example your cough may be because of food allergies or may be because of some infection in the respiratory track or may be because of acid reflux or may be asthma or in the worst case TB.
This article covers natural home remedies to get relief from cough in most cases whether it may be dry cough or persistent cough or you may be coughing up green mucus or may be coughing after eating food, etc. This article also include what food to eat and what food not to eat in case of cough.
(1)Honey: No 1 Home remedy to treat cough in my experience is Honey however one need to ensure that honey should be pure because I have seen many popular brand in Indian honey are nothing more than sugar syrup as most of the content is just sugar (usually in small print). Like wise in the UK I have also noticed at many superstore counter honey available for 1 or 2 pound and that’s not good. More info about how honey is healthy for cough and in general.
In case of dry cough I have seen turmeric with honey three times a day wonderfully reduce the cough.
(2)Pineapple: I have experienced that pineapple is very effective for controlling cough. Pineapple juice contains enzymes called bromelain, which has strong anti-inflammatory properties and can help with respiratory problems which are because of allergies and asthma. More info on Pineapple benefits for cough relief.
(3)Ginger can also help in asthmatic cough as it has anti-inflammatory properties. One can peel ginger and take around 40 grams of ginger in the hot water (almost boiling temperature) and leave it for 4 to 5 minutes and one can drink that ginger water as it cools slowly. In only a extreme rare case I have seen people with throat voice issue ginger may not be effective but otherwise very very good.
(4)Eucalyptus Oil is also very good to fight infection and relieves cough, improve respiration. Eucalyptus oil has shown in the animal studies that it helps to reduce the inflammatory effect of chronic bronchitis. One can rub two or three drops of this oil and rub on the chest. One needs to check if concentration too high than in that case one should dilute the oil. Mix 2 drops of Eucalyptus oil with other oil such as juniper berry oil and apply as a chest rub to encourage open and clear breath. Details info on how Eucalyptus oil helps in cough relief.
(5)Salt water gargles :Salt water (lukewarm water) helps in reducing phlegm and mucus in the back of the throat and hence lessen the need to cough.
(6) It is important to keep your immune system strong to avoid falling sick and there is no better way to do it than by regular meditation. You may incorporate even 10 minutes guided meditation and you would see the difference in your life overall.
(7) Stay hydrated: Drink lots of water to stay hydrated and thin the mucus and if possible try to incorporate coconut water every day.
(8) Food not to eat in cough: You also need to see if there is any food you are allergic too. For example I have seen some people are allergic to lemon and oranges or mausami (although very rare). Whenever they took lemon and oranges their cough sky rocketed and also vomit without even doctors realizing what is going on in the diet and only when oranges and lemon was taking out their cough disappear within 2 days.
(9) In case of asthmatic cough: Always be aware of dirt, dust, mosquitoes coil as it can make your cough worse.
(10)Papaya can help in digestive issues and can help cough if cause by GERD.
(11) You must avoid junk food, processed food and spicy food in case of cough.
(12)If possible, practice anuloma viloma daily even 5 minutes and that will help you to strengthen your lungs. More details on anuloma viloma benefits.